PRIVACY NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA JOB APPLICANTS REGARDING THE COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Effective Date: March 4, 2022
As a California job applicant, you have the right to know about the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which we use such personal information, pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act (the “CCPA”) and subsequent amendments. This Privacy Notice only applies to job applicants who are residents of the State of California.
Categories of Personal Information Collected
For purposes of this Privacy Notice, “personal information” means any information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular job applicant or their household. Personal information excludes information reasonably incapable of revealing an individual's specific identity, such as information that has been de-identified or aggregated.
In each case as permitted by applicable law, we may collect the following categories of personal information for the purposes described below:
- Personal identifiers, such as your name, preferred name, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, date of birth, and other similar identifiers.
- Personal Records, such as your signature, Social Security number, address, telephone number, education, employment or employment history.
- Protected characteristics, such as veteran and disability status, or race, through voluntary self-disclosure. Such information will only be collected as permitted by applicable law.
- Internet or other similar network activity information, such as your IP address, log-in information or information regarding your interaction with a website, application or advertisement.
- Geolocation Data, such as IP addresses from which we can determine your general location.
- Audio/Video data, such as if you submit photos or use video interviewing as part of or link to your social media profile during the application process. If you visit our facilities, your entry and exit may be monitored by CCTV. With your consent, we may record video of you in connection with the application process, for example through a third party screening service.
- Professional or employment-related information, such as your work history, references, information about skills and abilities, accomplishments and awards, training and development information, performance evaluation information, and employment termination information.
- Education information, such as your education history, education records (such as grades, transcripts and class lists), and other information included in your resume or cover letter.
- Other: Job interview notes, responses to screening questions, assessment results, and any other information you provide in connection with the recruitment process. We also may collect legal and contractual information, such as information necessary to respond to law enforcement and governmental agency requests, comply with legal and contractual obligations, exercise legal and contractual rights, and initiate or respond to, or establish, exercise and defend, legal and contractual rights claims.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect personal information you voluntarily provide to us directly from you when you apply for a job or otherwise contact us in the recruitment context. If you are visiting our website or online job application, we may also collect device information such as IP addresses and device identifiers.
We may also combine personal information collected from other sources with the personal information that you provide to us. For example, we may collect information from:
- Prior employers (e.g., for references)
- Professional references
- Educational institutions
- Pre-employment screening services
- Credentialing and licensing organizations
- Publicly available sources such as your social media profile (e.g., LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook)
- Other sources as directed by you
Use of Personal Information
We use the categories of personal information listed above for the following purposes:
- Process and manage your application: We use your personal information to process your job application, establish a job applicant profile for the recruitment process, assess your qualifications for a specific role with us, schedule and conduct interviews, communicate with you, and carry out background and reference checks (see the following bullet point for additional information). We may use audio recordings and photographs and video of job applicants for identification purposes. Additionally, if you are offered a position with us, we may use your personal information in the employee on-boarding process.
- Conduct reference and background checks (as permitted by applicable law): We use personal information we collect to conduct reference checks and to evaluate your qualifications and experience. We may also conduct background checks (as authorized by you and permitted by applicable law).
- Provide immigration support: If applicable and as permitted by applicable law, we may collect your personal information to assist with immigration support, such as applying for visas or work permits.
- Analyze and improve our recruitment process and tools: For example, we analyze trends in our applicant pool, and use personal information to understand and improve our recruitment process and tools (including improving diversity and inclusion). If you use our online job application process, we collect personal information in this category, such as your interactions with our “Careers” page and our online application process.
- Record-keeping: We keep records of your personal information as required by law and in accordance with our record retention policies.
- Meeting legal requirements and enforcing legal terms: We collect and process your personal information for purposes of: fulfilling our legal obligations under applicable law, regulation, court order or other legal process, such as preventing, detecting and investigating security incidents and potentially illegal or prohibited activities; protecting the rights, property or safety of you, us or another party; enforcing any agreements with you; responding to claims; and resolving disputes. Additionally, we may use information about protected characteristics to analyze and monitor the diversity of our job applicants in accordance with applicable laws.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information as necessary for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice, including internally with our personnel involved in the hiring process. For example, we may make your personal information available to the following parties:
- Affiliates: We may disclose your personal information to our affiliates.
- Service providers and vendors: We use service providers to operate, host and facilitate our hiring and recruitment process. These include hosting, technology and communication providers; security and fraud prevention consultants; analytics providers; background and reference check screening services; and hiring process management tools.
- Government authorities: In certain situations, we may be required to disclose personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- Business transfers: Your personal information may be transferred to a third party if we undergo a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy or other transaction in which that third party assumes control of our business (in whole or in part).
- Professional advisors: We may disclose your personal information to our professional advisors.
- Other: We may also disclose your personal information to third parties in conjunction with any of the activities set forth under “Meeting legal requirements and enforcing legal terms” in the “Use of Personal Information” section above.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This privacy notice is reviewed periodically to ensure it accurately captures all types of personal information collected or any additional or different processing of such personal information. We may, therefore, revise this privacy notice at any time and will update the “effective date” accordingly. If we make material changes, we will notify you more directly, such as via email at the email address we have on file for you.
Contact for Questions
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice or the collection of your personal information, please contact the Legal team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job applicants with disabilities may request access to this notice in an alternative format by contacting email@example.com.